Fractal is a 50% ortholinear keyboard kit sold in a group buy from 2018. It has a 12 by 5 layout, and supports a full grid layout or a 2u spacebar.
Download gerber files
Download the gerber files for the Fractal keyboard, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Download zip archive
I do not have any remaining unassembled kits to take pictures of, but the general build process goes like this:
- Solder diodes into the PCB
- Solder the header pins for the Pro Micro into the PCB, with the long side sticking out of the bottom
- Add stabilizers to PCB
- Insert switches into plate
- Put PCB onto the switches and solder them, making sure that no switch pins are bent
- Solder Pro Micro onto the header pins, making sure the chip side faces towards the PCB
- Attach standoffs to plate
- Slide the 3D printed middle layer onto the standoffs, making sure to not press one side down more than another at the same time (this can cause it to get stuck)
- Screw the bottom plate on